Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Patience of our caregivers

My wife and I spent a profitable morning at Peacehaven. We conducted chapel service at Level 1. It was not easy as not all were giving us attention. That cannot help it as they are not used to church as we know it. So the service was more a chit chat about God. Some of the nurses helped us to sing.

We can cover only two floors each Tuesday. Some residents want to talk and we always feel we need to lend a listening ear.

We were very impressed by the patience of the staff - nurses and therapists. Some of the residents are missing home. One 87 year old kept asking me to take him home. I was able to chat with him in Hokkien and did all I could to comfort him. Some are angry with their children for putting them in the Nursing Home. There are those who take it out on the staff. They make unreasonable demands, but the staff cope well, they know how to handle these awkward ones.

But there are the gracious ones who appreciate what is being done for them. They have learned to accept their situation. It's a joy to sit and chat with these positive thinking folk. Some have wonderful testimonies to give and we have been encouraged.

We thank God we are still able to visit the Home and minister to the folk. God has been good to us in giving us daily strength for daily needs.

We came home and I've been singing this lovely hymn, my favourite one - by Anna L Waring

  1. Father, I know that all my life
    Is portioned out for me;
    And the changes that are sure to come
    I do not fear to see;
    I ask Thee for a present mind,
    Intent on pleasing Thee.
  2. I ask Thee for a thoughtful love,
    Through constant watching wise,
    To meet the glad and joyful smiles,
    And wipe the weeping eyes,
    And a heart, at leisure from itself,
    To soothe and sympathize.
  3. I would not have the restless will
    That hurries to and fro,
    E’er seeking some great thing to do,
    Or secret thing to know;
    I would be treated as a child,
    And guided where I go.
  4. Wherever in this world I am,
    In whatsoe’er estate,
    I have a fellowship with hearts
    To keep and cultivate,
    And a work of lowly love to do
    For the Lord on whom I wait.
  5. So I ask Thee for daily strength—
    To none that ask denied—
    And a mind to blend with outward life,
    While keeping at Thy side;
    Content to fill a little space,
    If Thou be glorified.
  6. There are briers besetting every path,
    Which call for constant care;
    There is a cross in every lot,
    And an earnest need for prayer;
    But a lowly heart that leans on Thee,
    Is happy everywhere.
  7. In a service which Thy love appoints
    There are no bonds for me,
    For my inmost heart has learned the truth
    Which makes Thy children free,
    And a life of self-renouncing love
    Is a life of liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment