Monday, October 1, 2012

Counter the weapons of mass distraction

In my devotions yesterday I came across the phrase "weapons of mass distraction."  I've been pondering over those words. How often have I been distracted. I may have good intentions, but before very long, distraction comes and those good intentions get pushed aside.

Come to think of it distractions are unavoidable. The telephone rings, the knock on the door, a visitor drops in. I suppose sometimes it may be good to have some distraction. I can be so focused on doing something that I don't know how to enjoy life. The important thing I feel is for me to discipline myself and get back to my good intention. I need to keep my focus on the right thing and more important on the Lord Jesus.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12: 1-3

"How can I better serve Thee Lord,
Thou Who hast done so much for me?
Faltering and weak my labour has been,
O that my life may tell for Thee.

Here at the cross in this sacred hour,
Here at the source of reviving power,
Helpless indeed, I come with my need;
Lord, for thy service, fit me I plead.  (Bramwell Coles.







No comments:

Post a Comment