Friday, October 26, 2012

Are you on solids yet?

Travelling on the bus yesterday, I heard the cries of a baby. I noticed the mother pulling out a bottle of milk and gave it to the baby and he/she stopped crying  immediately. It was like magic to silence a child.  

I thought of the verse in the Bible  "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good". 1 Peter 2: 2-3 The baby whatever the species intuitively looks for the source that nourishes it. So the spiritual babe knows where to find milk to enable him to grow up in salvation.

But I feel sad when I think of those who have been in our church for years and are content with just the milk of the word. I recall speaking to one sister about attending the Adult Bible class. Her reply was "No lah - too chhim (meaning deep) for me, besides I am not a morning person! Whether we are larks or owls, if the desire is strong enough, we make the effort.

I am glad there are a number in our church who get up early Sunday morning to be in the chapel at 9.30 a.m. for the Adult Bible class. They are on solid food.

It is interesting to note the words at the end of the text "to find milk to enable him to grow up in salvation."  "Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation" says the New Living Version.

Notice the growing part of being saved- into a full experience of salvation! You see the babe in Christ needs to grow, otherwise it dies. The babe in Christ is not saved for eternity. Sooner or later the spiritual life within him dies. Being saved does not guarantee being safe. A Christian needs to grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Spiritual babies, breast fed, or bottle fed may do well but this is only for a short period of time. They need to grow to eat solids. Spiritual babies may do well as the hymn says, "leaning on the Saviour's breast" or "Leaning on the everlasting arms" but we all need to learn to stand up and fight the war with sin the flesh and the devil.

Across on the side of the bus I noticed a maid giving a child about five or six years old biscuits to eat when the kid said she was hungry. She was craving for solids. They may be on their way home for lunch or on the way to kopitian for a meal, yes to get solid food.

For about ten years I've been conducting the Adult Bible class where we shared solid food with those mature enough to take it. At the moment we are studying the Book of Judges. A number have come to me and confess that they have  never come across the stories in Judges!  I was going to hand the baton to someone else, but no one is willing or ready to take it yet. I have no choice to continue. Following this series, I want to get on to 1 Samuel in the new year.

I've passed by 80th birthday and I don't know how how I can continue. It is my earnest prayer that the Lord will send someone to take over when the time comes for me to lay down the sword.

I've been encouraged by the support given by a mature group of believers who make the effort to come earlier to join us in Bible studies.

 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God[ may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.'
2 Timothy 3: 16-17

 



No comments:

Post a Comment