Sunday, October 28, 2012

Enjoying the Lord's Day

Early this morning at 6.00 a.m. my wife and I went for our usual morning walk in the compound and what struck me was enthusiastic singing and praying in the Praise chapel where we normally use for our Bible class. Later there emerged a group of Filipinos, most were ladies. They had been having an all night prayer meeting. I thank God for such fervent Christians.

We have studying the book of Judges. I had thought I could complete the series by the end of the year, (we close for recess in December because of Christmas activities like carolling, kettling etc) but it is evident I have to stop and the convenient place to do so is Chapter 16. For the concluding chapters 17-21 I am leaving till January 2013. I shall do a summary of the 16 chapters on the last Sunday in November.

This morning the Corps Cadet Counsellor Brother Marcus Moo brought a group of his Corps Cadets to just have a taste of an Adult Bible class.

For the next three Sundays, others will conduct the studies. This gives me a chance to take a rest, besides we shall be conducting the 76th Anniversary meetings at Balestier Church the place where I began my Christian pilgrimage. I was only five years old when I first went to the Sunday School.

It is good for the folk to listen to a different voice and see a different style of conducting studies. Mrs. Lim Li-ching and Brother Terence Tan will take over the classes for the next three weeks. 

The book of Judges is written primarily on a thematic rather than than chronological basis. The author uses the accounts of various judges to prove the utter failure of living out the closing verses of Judges -"everyone did what was right in his own eyes." I call this 'screwed up democracy' - freedom without restraint. The author  points to the cycle of repeated spiral of disobedience, destruction and defeat. We see sin and rebellion that result in defeat and destruction. They we see repentance and supplication followed by deliverance or salvation.

The first part of the Book tells us about the tribes living with the Canaanites, the war with the Canaanites and sadly the last few chapters give us evidence of the Israelites living like the Canaanites.
We have much to learn from these Old Testament stories.

I conclude with some soul searching as I pose questions to myself. Where am I in my walk with the Lord? Am I as close to Him as I should be? This is Sunday night and I pray for those who attended our class and shared in worship. I pray for those who have been too sick to join us in fellowship and worship this Lord's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment