Monday, March 25, 2013

Outstretched Arms of Jesus on the Cross

Jesus said, 'I, when I am lifted up from the earth will draw all men to Myself.' He said this to show the kind of death He would suffer. John 12: 32-33

Lifted up! This was a challenge - let them kill Me, put Me on the cross, lift Me up there. They were not idle words nor an idle boast. This prophecy has found fulfilment. From the cross and to the cross Jesus draws men and women to Himself. There is this wonderful magnetism of the cross. That Figure, hanging on the cross, so helpless, so pathetic, yet so appealing. The outstretched arms of Jesus makes an appeal. Christianity has this unique symbol in the cross of the outstretched arms.

The outstretched arms of Jesus speaks of Invitation. "COME" is a beautiful word. You arrive at the door of a friend. He opens the door and says, "Come in. You are welcome." How beautiful the outstretched hands or arms of a welcoming friend.

We are familiar with that welcoming invitation of Jesus that has brought comfort to many in distress.
"Come to me, all who labour and and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." Matthew 11: 28.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto me and rest;
lay down, thou weary one, lay down
thy head upon my breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
so weary, worn, and sad;
I found in him a resting place,
and he has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Behold, I freely give
the living water; thirsty one,
stoop down and drink, and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank
of that life-giving stream;
my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"I am this dark world's light;
look unto me, thy morn shall rise,
and all thy day be bright."
I looked to Jesus, and I found
in him my Star, my Sun;
and in that light of life I'll walk
till traveling days are done.  Horatio Bonar


This is  holy week. Let us quieten our hearts and minds and meditate on the sufferings, paid and death of  our Lord Jesus Christ who died for our sins. Speak Lord for Thy servant is listening.




No comments:

Post a Comment