Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Word of Confidence

When Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, "Father, into Your hands I commend My spirit."
Luke 23: 46

This cry of victory makes it possible for us, believers to share in His triumph over death. Paul exalts in this glorious truth when he said, "O death where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory?....Thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
(I Cor. 15: 55,57)

The certainty about our life is death. Thank God, when we have Christ in our hearts and keep faithful by His grace, when our pilgrimage is over, we can also pray, "Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit."

Prayer was Jesus' vital breath,
  Praise to God, His daily bread,
Orisons began the day.
  Ere He slept a prayer He said:
"While in sleep I now recline,
  Father, keep this soul of mine."

While they nailed Him to the cross
  Pardon for His foes He pled;
Ere His spirit took its flight,
  Unto God He spoke and said:
"Father, into hands of Thine,
   I commend this soul of mine."

When the day of life is done,
  Unknown realms thy soul must dare;
Lift thine eyes to Heaven in trust,
  Speak the name of God in prayer;
"Father into hands of Thine,
   I command this soul of mine: Anon

Let us pray
"Hide me, O my Saviour hide,
   Till the storm of life be past:
Safe into the haven guide:
   O receive my soul as last"   Charles Wesley.

No comments:

Post a Comment