Friday, March 15, 2013

Loving God and loving others

This morning eleven of us met at our home for fellowship, study of the word and prayer.  This is our regular cell group meeting which meets every Friday morning.

Our discussion was on "Loving People". We discussed on the passages of Scripture from Matthew 8: 1-7, 9:27-30, 14: 13-14 - incidents showing us the compassion of Jesus - the leper, an outcast from society; the centurion a gentile whom the Jews despised, and a blind man.

I am reminded of the cartoon series "Peanuts", a character who said, "I love humanity. It's people I can't stand"

And someone else who once said, "He who loves the whole world often has trouble with the onery individuals who compose it." Something for us to ponder! Do we have trouble seeing people as persons for whom Christ came to save?

Think of the leper - an outcast from society in those days! Think of the centurion, a gentile working of the Romans, much hated by the Jews. Think of the blind man, the man who eked out a megre existence by begging. But Jesus saw him as a person in need.

The good news of the gospel - God is love. We are familiar with John 3: 16 and those reading this blog know it. Here is another of my favourite verses "Long ago the Lord said to Israel:“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. (NLB)

This wonderful love did not begin when we began to love God. "We love Him because He first loved us." (1 John 4: 19) When we love others we are walking in the footstepd of the our Lord who is always compassionate.

The Saviour of men came to seek and to save
The souls who were lost to the good;
His Spirit was moved for the world which he loved
With the boundless compassion of God.
And still there are fields where the labourers are few,
And still there are souls without bread,
And still eyes that weep where the darkness is deep,
And still straying sheep to be led.

Chorus
Except I am moved with compassion,
How dwelleth thy Spirit in me?
In word and in deed
Burning love is my need;
I now know I can find it in thee.

O is not the Christ ‘midst the crowd of today
Whose questioning cries do not cease?
And will he not show to the hearts that would know
The things that belong to their peace?
But how shall they hear if the preacher forbear
Or lack in compassionate zeal?
Or how shall hearts move with the Master’s own love,
Without his anointing and seal?

It is not with might to establish the right,
Nor yet with the wise to give rest;
The mind cannot show what the heart longs to know
Nor comfort a people distressed.
O Saviour of men, touch my spirit again,
And grant that thy servant may be
Intense every day, as I labour and pray,
Both instant and constant for thee. (Albert Orsborn)



No comments:

Post a Comment