Friday, March 22, 2013

A Word of Agony

Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty." John 19: 28

It's a short cry of anguish - I am thirsty! It was a cry of physical suffering, a sequel to the cry of spiritual desolation heard in that dark hour. Yes, He was God, but He took on our humanity and here is another evidence of this fact. 

I thirst! I thirst! the Saviour cried
With burning lips before He died;
A cooling draught He asked of those
Who mocking looked upon His throes.

Angelic hosts from heaven's height
In sorrow gaze upon the sight;
But yet the sky no water drips
To cool the Saviour's parched lips.

A thousand fountains flowed that day,
A river flowed not far away;
But not one cup by friend or foe
Was brought to mitigate His woe.

He suffered thirst on Calvary's hill
That He our thirsty hearts might fill,
To open wide a fount of grace
For all who seek the Saviour's face.

"O come," we hear the Saviour's call -
The invitation is for all:
"Ho, all ye souls athirst, come ye.
And drink the living water free."  Anon.

Prayer: "We implore You, by the memory of Your cross's hallowed and most bitter anguish, make us fear you, make us love You, O Christ." St. Bridget 453-523

As I end another day, I think of my Lord who still thirsts. He is thirsting for the souls to be won into His Kingdom. Lord create soul thirst in me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment