Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Caring and comforting others

"Comfort, or comfort my people'. This was the message given to Isaiah. It came forcibly to me as we went round visiting the residents and staff at Peacehaven Nursing Home today. People need to hear the message of comfort, of hope and encouragement.

We feel without any doubt at all that we as Christians, the recipients of His comfort are to be the messengers of comfort.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, ...He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted... to comfort all who mourn, ...to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy
instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." (Isaiah 61: 2-3)

Often we meet pastors and Christian workers of other denominations and it encourages our hearts to know there are still people who care. It is my fervent prayer that our own salvationists remember our mission - to save souls, grow saints and care for suffering humanity.

Today I found myself reflecting and singing an old American folk hymn which says,

"There is a balm in Gilead, to make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead, to heal the sin-sick soul.
       Sometimes I feel discouraged,
       And think my work's in vain,
       And then the Holy Spirit
       Revives my soul again.
There is a balm in Gilead, to make the wounded whole:
There is a balm in Gilead, to heal the sin-sick soul.

Then when we got home today, I received the latest copy of The Salvationist and I read this from an article by Dr. John Coutts a Salvationist and son of the late General Fred Coutts. In his article he was referring to those who are suffering from Alzheimer's disease and related disorders. Among the number we visited today were those with dementia.

"It's all too easy for long-faithful Christians to be left unvisited and apparently forgotten. But keeping in touch calls for wisdom and stamina, and caring for those with memory loss can be hard going indeed."
      
Yesterday I wrote on "The Outstretched Arms of Jesus" that speak of invitation. He welcomes all even those who have loss their memory. These precious souls still need the human touch. You may need to get out the comfort of your office to those in need. Sms and facebook messages are no substitute for personal contact.

Except I am moved with compassion,
How dwelleth Thy Spirit in me?
   In word and in deed
   Burning love is my need,
I know I can find these in Thee. (Albert Orsborn)

Lord grant me this compassion as seen in Jesus. As I end the day, I can still hear the crying need in people young and old, rich and poor, healthy and sick which can be met in Jesus the Compassion one.
As a follower of Christ, let me be the the agent of compassion.


No comments:

Post a Comment