Saturday, March 30, 2013

A loving act by two disciples


On this day between Good Friday and Easter, I've been reflecting on two men who suddenly appeared to take the body of Jesus for burial. Certainly this was a brave thing to do - secret disciples suddenly came out into the open to perform a beautiful act of love for the Lord.

It was the custom to leave the bodies of executed criminals to creatures like dogs and vultures. But these two disciples decided to prevent such indignity.

Joseph of Arimathea, a member of the Sanhedrin who earlier had not supported the decision to put Jesus to death, went to Pilate to ask permission to take the body of Jesus for burial. This loving act was the fulfillment of prophecy "And He made his grave...with the rich in death." Isaiah 53: 9

Nicodemus the man who came to Jesus by night as recorded in John 3 and later as a member of the
Sanhedrin spoke up on behalf of Jesus (John 7: 45-62), joined forces with Joseph to perform this loving act.

We hear messages preached or messages written about Peter's denial, Judas; betrayal, and a lot of ugly scenes, we seem to ignore such a beautiful scene. I wish I had the artistic skill to paint this scene which fills my memory today.

So the last scene at Calvary - the last gifts from two disciples, Joseph and Nicodemus - one gave his tomb, the other spices and clothing. I can see the tender hands of these two men, the tears that fell on the on the linen.

I often wish I have more to give the Lord, but all He wants of me is 'all that I have and all that I am"
So on this quiet Saturday, I once again in front of this screen before me, dedicate myself to Him.

Thank you Joseph and Nicodemus for showing me this loving act. As age creeps up on me, I can do less and less, but by Your grace help me to do what I can to show my devotion to You. So Lord I come to the cross and pray,

Jesus, keep me near the cross'
    There a precious fountain,
Free to all a healing stream,
   Flows from Calvary's mountain.

Near the cross a trembling soul,
   Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
   Shed its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God:
   Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day
   With its shadow o'er me.  Fanny Crosby

No comments:

Post a Comment