Thursday, August 30, 2012

Trip to Chinatown

When we run out of nuts I make a trip to Hong Kong Street to buy all kinds of nuts from the wholesalers. They are so much cheaper than those sold in the supermarkets. Normally I buy just enough to fill the knapsack. I take public transport so there is a limit I can carry. My wife and I love nuts - from peanuts, walnuts, cashew nuts, chestnuts etc. We have them for breakfast and supper. We also cook peanut soup for our meals.

Chinatown has changed a lot. Even the shop I buy the stuff from is now quite modern and of course the prices go up after each renovation of the shop. Its the price we pay for modernisation. We live in an age of fast changes. Sometimes it's hard for elderly folk like us to keep up the the pace of modernisation. We have no other option but to try.

Well I enjoyed my walk and thank God I am physically fit to walk, and mentally alert to find my way around.  As I walked today in my heart I was singing the old time favourite "When we walk with the Lord," and "walking with Jesus.

Buying nuts in Chinatown involved some walking. More important I must keep up my walk with the Lord.

When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word
What a glory He sheds on our way!
When we do His good will;
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

I remember an old song we used to sing especially at Sunday School and Youth meetings.

"walking with Jesus, walking every day, walking all the way
walking with Jesus walking with Jesus alone

walking in the sunlight, walking in the shadow
walking everyday, walking all the way
walking in the sunlight, walking in the shadow
walking with Jesus alone."

Come to think of it I'm not walking with Jesus alone, do I?  I am part of the body of Christ, and I'm walking with Jesus and with friends and loved ones. But, the walking everyday part in sunlight and shadow is surely a fact of my Christian life.

Well, I'm just reflecting and writing down my random thoughts. Thank God for modern technology, I can connect with my friends very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment