Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lessons learned from Downfall of Abimelech

This morning we focused our thoughts on a rather unknown incident in the Bible. We have been studying the Book of Judges and study was on Judges 9: 22-56. We had lively discussion on the lesson.

For three years the Shechemites supported Abimelech who lived in Arumah (9:41) five miles south of Shechem. He put Zebul in charge of the city and report to him. Abimelech hoped to subjugate the extensive area under his control. His plans were self centred and did not have the interests of the people in view. At the end of three years, the people came to realise his true intentions and the nation was ripe for rebellion.

Gaal appeared on the scene no doubt under God’s providential guidance at this crucial time. The people of Shechem turned to him and before long there was a battle. Unfortunately Gaal and his followers were soundly defeated.

Abimelech’s most important goal was to have power. The lust for power led him to more killings. Not only did he wipe out his brothers, he also slaughtered anyone who dared stand in his way. Nothing could stop him on his bloodthirsty drive to conquer.

Jotham’s prophecy as seen in his parable came true. (Chapter 9: 7-15) “fire came out of the bramble and devour the cedars of Lebanon.” (9: 15) Abimelech was that bramble or thorn bush. His ‘fire’ destroyed the Shechemites at the time of sweeping devastation of their city. Now the Shechemites’ ‘fire’ destroyed Abimelech. A woman dropped a millstone on Abimelech’s head and crushed his skull. In his dying hour he called his armour bearer and commanded, “Draw your sword and kill me, lest men say of me, ‘a woman killed him’” Pride gripped him even till his last moment on earth.

Here is God’s warning to us living today. The story of Abimelech, the men of Shechem and Jotham shows us there is a terrible price to pay for rejecting God’s warnings. “Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” Galatians 6:7-8

We thank God for the privilege of sharing the Word of God. May we continue thirsting of His truth. My prayer is expressed in the hymn written by Mary A Lathbury (stanzas 3-4 by Alexander Groves)

1 Break Thou the bread of life, dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee, O living Word!

2 Bless Thou the truth, dear Lord, to me, to me,
As Thou didst bless the bread by Galilee;
Then shall all bondage cease, all fetters fall;
And I shall find my peace, my all in all.

3 Thou art the bread of life, O Lord, to me,
Thy holy Word the truth that saveth me;
Give me to eat and live with Thee above;
Teach me to love Thy truth, for Thou art love.

4 Oh, send Thy Spirit, Lord, now unto me,
That He may touch my eyes, and make me see:
Show me the truth concealed within Thy Word,
And in Thy Book revealed I see the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment