Monday, August 27, 2012

Honouring vows

Our Bible study was on Judges  11: 12-38 "Jephthah and his vow"

Jephthah's attempts to negotiate peace with the Ammonites was rebuffed. So he had no choice but to battle the enemy. Before he went to battle, he made a vow to God; to offer to Him  as sacrifice whatever came out his house to meet him on his return home.

Jephthah's vow was unnecessary! The Spirit of God was already on him. God was going to give him victory over the Ammonites. However although a vow was not mandatory, when made was also binding. Eccl. 5: 1-6, Deut. 23: 21-25

When he got home, the first person to meet him was his only daughter. The question that has long been debated concerns the manner Jephthah carried out his vow. Some believe he sacrificed his daughter in the form of a burnt offering. Others disagreed and think he offered her in the sense of devoting her life to the Tabernacle service and perpetual celibacy. We spent much time in our discussion on the viewpoints.

The important lesson we learn is we must put serious thought and consideration when making vows. Let us take our vows seriously.

As I write I reflect on the words by Will Brand  -

Have I ceased from walking close beside Thee?
Have I grieved Thee with an ill kept vow?
In my heart of hearts have I denied Thee?
Speak O speak, dear Lord and tell me now.





No comments:

Post a Comment