Friday, August 24, 2012

I'll fight!

William Booth's famous address a century ago. May we have the same passion.

While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while little children go hungry, as they do now, I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight-I'll fight to the very end!
From: BOOTH THE BELOVED, by J Evan Smith (Oxford University Press, 1949), pages 123-124



One of the most famous Salvation Army traditions is that William Booth concluded his last address in the Royal Albert Hall on 9 May 1912 with these words.

My prayer today is that the Lord will enable The Salvation Army to have this same passion to save souls and serve suffering humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment