Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Joy of meeting an old friend

On the way to Peacehaven this morning, I received a phone call from a lady, Koh Guat Ting (referred to on Saturday's post). She wanted to know when we would be at Peacehaven as she would like to meet us there.

We arrived and did our chapel service on Level 1. Just as we had finished the lady turned up. We met for the first time in 45 years! Of course, it was easy for her to identify as we were in uniform, but frankly we could not recognise her.

She accompanied my wife in her rounds of visitation of the residents. To cover  the areas of visitation my wife and I normally split up to meet as many people as we could. There are more than 400 residents at Peacehaven now and each week we cover two floors. Some residents want to talk and request for prayers and we need to give then time. Then there are nurses and therapists who want to talk to us. They too need encouragement as their work is hard and demanding.

Anyway we were really encouraged by this lady. She recalled attending our Sunday School at Kuala Lumpur. She became a Christian and now attending All Saints Church where she teaches Sunday School. She told us she is using the choruses she learnt at our Salvation Army Sunday school for her group of children at her church. Praise the Lord.

This afternoon, when we arrived home, I went to the office as usual to collect my mail and Sze passed on a message. An old friend Margaret has been trying to get in touch with us after reading the article on the House of Tan Yeok Nee in the Sunday Times (see blogs on 27th & 29th August)
The article has generated a deal of interest and old friends many of whom we have lost contact are connecting with us again after reading the article.

I suppose when we get old, or should I say older we become more nostalgic. We tend to recall the times we have lived through and the people we shared fellowship with. Memories are like an old mixed tape which tells stories. These memories add lustre to life.

I've gone beyond my three score years and ten, past it by ten years. What memories of people and places are stored in my memory as I a write my blog, I recall the memories, some happy, others painful but everything that I've gone through has been for a purpose.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8: 28





No comments:

Post a Comment