Thursday, September 27, 2012

Growing old with grace

Here is a lovely prayer written by Commissioner Flora Larsson.

"Help me to grow old with grace, Lord!
Even as I pray the words I smile to myself,
       for physical grace is somewhat lacking
       in my joints and movements.
Gone is the lightness of youth
       the supple swiftness,
       each muscle part of a well trained whole.
The kind of grace is beyond me now.

It's inward grace I crave, Master,
       the grace of gratitude.
I call up the good memories
       relive happy scenes and savour brief triumphs.
It's been a long life, but a good life.
For all this (and much more) I thank You.

I ask too, Lord, for the grace of humour.
Help me to see the funny side of living.
       to enjoy a joke
       to make a few myself!
To laugh when I fumble in my purse for coins
       or when my memory slips a cog.

And then I ask for the grace of patience:
       not to lose out
       on the last lap of the race.
Jog me into lively interest in my surroundings,
       in world events.
Don't let me settle into a snug, self interest cocoon.
Keep me alert in mind,
       even when the body responds reluctantly.

Lord, help me to grow old with grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment