Monday, September 17, 2012

I know God cares

I went to my regular barber this morning to get my hair cut. On the way I saw another Barber shop opened, a  Chinese shop offering 50% discount for senior citizens. I was tempted to try this new shop, but changed my mind and went to my regular Indian Barber, the one I am used to.

Whilst sitting comfortably in the barber's chair some thoughts came to my mind.

Like it or not we are all creatures of habit. We like our routines and the familiar. I am so used from young to go to an Indian barber. Sounds racist, but it's not. In Hong Kong I had no choice but go to the Chinese barber at Tsim Sha Tsui. In the Philippines I had to use the Filipino barber and in England the Englishmen cut my hair. No choice! But since my return to Singapore, it's back to my Indian barber.

Seriously, I am not that conservative - I do make changes when necessary.Changes in life are inevitable and necessary. You need to change to survive. Changes bring challenges and for elderly folk like me, at times I just need that extra prod to take up the challenge.  We live a a world of rapid changes. We must adapt to our modern age.

As I sat at the barber's chair, I thought of the words of Jesus in Matthew 10: 30 "the very hairs of your head are all numbered." God's attention to detail and his knowledge is beyond our comprehension. Jesus tells us that God the Father has even taken the time to number each one of the hairs on our head! Each individual has over 100,000 individual strands of hair on the head; each one has been numbered by Almighty God.  Hard to believe isn't it, yet it's true for the Bible says so.

Frank Graeff went through some ve­ry dif­fi­cult tri­als. The per­i­od be­fore writ­ing this song was one of great de­spond­en­cy, doubt and phys­ic­al pain. When he turned to God’s Word, 1 Peter 5:7 gave won­der­ful com­fort: “He cares for you.” Af­ter med­i­ta­ting on that truth, Graeff wrote these lyri­cs, with the re­sound­ing af­firm­a­tion in the cho­rus, “O yes, He cares

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress
And the way grows weary and long?
 
Refrain
Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?
 
Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?
 
Does Jesus care when I’ve said goodbye
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

I came home and this hymn has been ringing in my heart. "I know He cares."  "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." 1 Peter 5: 7
 


No comments:

Post a Comment