Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Visited our daughter Poh Chin

Normally on a Tuesday, we visit Peacehaven to conduct chapel service and also visit Poh Chin. Today, Labour Day, public holiday, there was no chapel, so we made our own way just to visit her.

We started our journey at 9.30 a.m. and it took us almost two hours to get to Peacehaven by bus. We visited Poh Chin, prayed with her then it was time to have lunch. We sat in the garden to have our lunch of sandwiches which we brought with us. It was so quiet and peaceful. First we chatted with the two Malay gardeners in bahasa (Malay language). Then after they had gone we were left to ourselves to enjoy the peace and quiet of the beautiful and well kept garden.

The journey home took much longer - two hours sitting on the bus. And it was quite crowded. We thank God we can still get around by ourselves on public transport.

Now back at home, I am reflecting on the scene in the garden.

"God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures." Francis Bacon
"How deeply seated in the human heart is the liking for gardens and gardening." Alexander Smith

Haldor Lillenas (1885-1959)  was a twentieth-century gospel hymn writer and publisher. Ordained a minister in the Church of the Nazarene, author, song evangelist, poet, music publisher and prolific hymn writer is estimated to have composed over 4,000 hymns, the most famous being Wonderful Grace of Jesus. Here is one of his songs - "In the garden of my heart."

There’s a sacred and hallowed retreat,
Where my soul finds a fellowship sweet,
Where the Lord of my life I may meet,
In the garden of my heart.

Refrain
In the cool of the day He walks with me,
In the rose bordered way He talks with me;
In love’s holy union,
And sacred communion,
In the garden of my heart.


There is naught can disturb or molest,
There my spirit finds comfort and rest,
And my soul is no longer distressed
In the garden of my heart.

Shut away from earth’s strife and its din,
And protected from soul staining sin,
For my Savior is dwelling within,
In the garden of my heart.

There the dove of sweet peace always sings,
And my faith ever trustingly clings;
And the chime of sweet happiness rings
In the garden of my heart. (Haldor Lillenas)



No comments:

Post a Comment