Friday, May 4, 2012

Work with joy and satisfaction

A busy day. Woke up at 4.30 a.m. Did my exercise and devotions. Cleaned the house and got things ready for cell group. Had cell meeting from 10.00 a.m. then adjourned for lunch. There were ten of us today to share fellowship, the word and meal together. My wife did the cooking earlier. Some brought food to share. By the time the last one left, it was late in the afternoon.

Did my Bible lesson on Judges - Lesson 16 on Gideon. I am well ahead in my preparation. So here am I doing my e-mail and writing my blog. We are retired, but seem to be busy all the time.

A verse came to my mind "What does man gain for all his labour at which he toils under the sun?" Ecclesiastes 1: 3

Just thinking or reflecting. I still have vivid memory of the film I watched when I was still in school. Goodness me - more than half as century ago!  Yes, I still remember "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."  One scene depicts the dwarfs  shouldering their picks and shovels and marching off singing,

"Whistle while you work,
Put on that grin and start right in,
To whistle while you work."

If we ask the dwarfs this question, "What does a man gain by all his toil?" I can hear the response from the dwarfs -  "With joy and satisfaction"

So no complaints. I am happy with life as it is. Thank God for health and strength to still work. And I can sing the songs of praise as I labour for the Master from the dawn to setting son. Praise God.

I feel sorry for those whose attitude to work exists only in Walt Disney's films. For such daily work or service is a drudgery. The belief that work serves no other purpose than providing money for our daily needs is a destructive fallacy.

We work for the glory of God. God Himself is a worker - the Eternal Architect who brought creation into being and sustains it by His own power. Work is sacred because God is in it with us.

"Let us labour for the Master from the dawn till setting sun,
Let us tell of all His wondrous love and care;
Then, when all of life is over, and our work on earth is done,
And the roll is called up yonder, we'll be there."  James M Black



No comments:

Post a Comment