Thursday, January 12, 2012

Friends - old and new

We have many friends in Singapore and overseas. Some have been friends for years and everyday we are adding new friends. They enrich our lives.

I was at National University Hospital this morning, so missed the weekly prayer meeting. I tried a new bus route - took Bus 75 to Holland Village, then crossed the overhead bridge (thank God I can still climb the steps) and took Bus 95 which took me to Kent Ridge and it took only one hour.

When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised to see Toh Tzu at our home. She had brought my wife home after the prayer meeting. We had a great time as we shared fellowship and prayer together.

Then at noon four new friends came - Majors Raelton and Lynn Gibbs and Majors Paul and Stephanie Herring and we went for lunch and what great time of fellowship we had! And of course, we enjoyed the meal.

We thank God for friends God has brought into our lives. My prayer list grows longer by the day. But then we have more friends praying for us.

"Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life. Many might have failed beneath the bitterness of their trial had they not found a friend." Charles Haddon Spurgeon

"If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendship in constant repair." Samuel Johnson.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you." Dale Carnegie.

The best friend I have is Jesus.

A friend of Jesus! Oh, what bliss
That one so weak as I
Should ever have a Friend like this
To lead me to the sky!

Refrain:
Friendship with Jesus!
Fellowship divine!
Oh, what blessed, sweet communion!
Jesus is a Friend of mine.

A Friend when other friendships cease,
A Friend when others fail,
A Friend who gives me joy and peace,
A Friend when foes assail!

A Friend when sickness lays me low,
A Friend when death draws near,
A Friend as through the vale I go,
A Friend to help and cheer!

A Friend when life’s short race is o’er
A Friend when earth is past,
A Friend to meet on Heaven’s shore,
A Friend when home at last! (Joseph C Ludgate)

No comments:

Post a Comment