Friday, January 20, 2012

The Chinese festive season

Singapore being a multi racial, multi religious country is rich in cultures. Most cultures have moved from their old folk lore, thus losing their awareness of its rhythms and purposes. This is certainly true of our Chinese customs. I am a Singaporean, born and bred in this 'little red dot' called Singapore. I am also ethnic Chinese, my father came from China when he was only twelve years old as a stowaway. He was a brave and adventurous person.

On my mother's side, she was born in Singapore. Her mother was a peranakan nyonya. She was always dressed in sarong kebabaya. She got married to a China man (arranged marriage of course) and I understand he even wore a pig tail right to the end of his life. When his eldest son went to work for the British, the colonial master on the first day cruelly cut off his pig tail. It broke my grandfather's heart and I was told, he wept for days and no one could console him. He was so grief stricken, he health broke down, returned to China and died of a broken heart. I've never met my grandfather or first uncle; I only heard these stories from my mother.

So we have preserved many of the Teochew customs and when it came to celebrating Lunar New Year, in my younger days, the rules were strictly applied. Of course, we live a an age of change. I am married to a Cantonese and have absorbed some of the Cantonese customs.

For seven and a half years, we kept to the Cantonese way of doing things for Hong Kong is largely populated by the Cantonese, although there is a significant Teochew, Hakka and Hokkien population almost everyone in Hong Kong speaks Cantonese.

Then for seven years, three in Philippines and four in England, we did not celebrate Chinese New Year for we had to be in the office! However, we did invite friends to join us on New Year Eve for what is termed 'reunion dinner'. In Rome do what the Romans do. Chinese New Year is not a holiday in these countries. It is interesting to note that President Aquino has declared Chinese New Year a public holiday in the Philippines for 2012! I am sure the ethnic Chinese Filipinos are delighted.

The New Year goodies are now sitting comfortably on the table in our lounge. We have mandarin oranges all ready to be exchanged during the New Year. We are ready to welcome visitors come Monday, the first day of Chinese New Year.

The doors of all Chinese families are open to all visitors. There is a welcome in every home.

No comments:

Post a Comment