Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Extended blessing

My wife and I use the The Salvation Army's daily devotional "Words of Life" for our private devotions. This morning the writer uses the text "The Lord had said to Abraham "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you..and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you."

The writer Major Beverly Ivany testifies about the blessings she has received from God, her family and friends. Then she adds, "It is amazing to know through God's Spirit we can be a blessing to others...I pray each each morning that he will 'make me a blessing to someone today.'"

Just think of this - God blesses us, He is the source; we approach Him and bless Him; we bless others, others bless us and in they in turn are blessed. So blessings come from God and when we pass on His blessings, givers and recipients are blessed. Blessings keep going round. "Blessings abound where'er He reigns" says Isaac Watts in his well known hymn, "Jesus shall reign"

Make Me a Blessing by Ira Wilson

1 Out in the highways and byways of life,
many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife
making the sorrowing glad.

Refrain:
Make me a blessing,
Make me a blessing,
Out of my life
May Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Saviour, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.


2 Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
Others will trust Him if only you prove
true ev'ry moment you live.

3 Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.

Let us bless God, thank and praise Him for Who He is - our Creator, our Sovereign God, our Redeemer. We thank Him for lavishing His blessings on us. Let us bless one another.

God bless you, the readers of this blog. Pass on His blessings and you will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment