Sunday, December 15, 2013

Kettling with Concertina

A few years ago I was doing my  'kettling' at Holland Village near the Cold Storage. The normal way is to ring the bell to draw the attention of passers-by. I thought for a change I would play carols using my concertina instead. The sound from this ancient musical instrument soon drew crowds who stopped to listen and one or two even requested me to play their favourite carols.

One hot, humid afternoon I was playing "See amid the winter's snow" perspiration was dripping down my body. I stopped for a while just to wipe the sweat away. My legs were aching after standing for a couple of hours. I decided to sit down on a stool provided by the kind shop keeper.

Obviously, someone had noticed my discomfort. She went to the Cold Storage supermarket and came out with a packet of cold drink for me. She said to me, "I saw you wiping away your perspiration and looking very tired. I thought you could do with a drink. And here's a small donation for the work of The Salvation Army." She then put $50.00 into the tin. She told me she was a member of Queenstown Methodist Church. God bless the Methodists. Our Founder William Booth was a Methodist Minister.

There are many kind people in Singapore ever willing to help The Salvation Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment