Thursday, December 26, 2013

Good King Wenceslas -a carol for Boxing Day

Today is Boxing Day and my mind goes back to the old carol - Good King Wenceslas.  Some people do not accept this poem as a carol. Whether we agree with them or not it does not matter, but the song tells the story of a King or Duke who went out despite the cold winter to bless the poor and needy. That should be our mission as Christians.

It was an ancient custom that on the day after Christmas to pack the left-overs and other gifts, put them in boxes and given to the servants and those in need. Hence the term Boxing Day.

The mission of The Salvation Army has always been 'to save souls, grow saints and care for suffering humanity.'  In our celebration of Christmas, let us not forget those who are less fortunate than we are.

I have not heard this carol sung for some time. It came to my mind and I have been singing it today.

Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the Feast of Stephen
When the snow lay 'round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gath'ring winter fuel

"Hither, page, and stand by me,
If thou know'st it, telling
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence,
Underneath the mountain
Right against the forest fence
By Saint Agnes' fountain."

"Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine-logs hither
Thou and I shall see him dine
When we bear them thither."
Page and monarch, forth they went
Forth they went together
Through the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather.

"Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, good my page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shall find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."

In his master's step he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye, who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing.   -John Mason Neale

Let us follow in the footsteps of our Lord everyday. "Deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Me" says the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment