Friday, July 20, 2012

Golden years given by God

This morning at 10.00 a.m, Rachel, our grand daughter came for us and took us to NUH where my wife underwent endoscopy. We are pleased everything went well, thanks to the doctors, surgeons and nurses and of course God.

As we age our visits to the hospital and clinic increase in frequency, but thank God, we have good medical facilities here in Singapore. And we can wait in comfort too. I cannot say the same thing concerning hospitals in other countries where we were privileged to spend our time. However, no regrets. The Lord has preserved us.

Rachel stayed with us the whole time so she and I had lunch at the canteen and spent time together. Rachel was busy marking papers, while I enjoyed my new toy the iPad - thanks to another grand daughter Cheryl. God has blessed us with three children and six grand children all loving and serving the Lord.

I did a lot of reading and one of the articles was about aging. I understand from this writer, that the average age for men now is 80 and women 85. So I am on my last lap and maybe making my final sprint into eternity.

During the week one of my former classmates, Dr. Benny Cheng sent me a photo of a group of old men, some bald, most grey or silver, wrinkled faces and he asked me if I could identify any of them. Frankly I can't; not after parting with them for some 60 years! I could only recognise Benny as I did meet with him some time within the last 15 years since our return to Singapore.

I continued googling and read more about aging. Listen to what Dr. Donald McGavran founder of Church Growth Movement had to say when he was 92 years old, "Some people think their lives stop when they retire, that their real work has ended. When I retired at the age of 68, the most important work of my life began. I strongly believe that real life is only beginning at retirement, and probably the most important contribution will be made in individuals during these years." Point taken Dr.

Let's read what the Bible tells us. "Grey hair is a crown of splendour, it is attained by a righteous life." Proverbs 16: 31.There is no need to dye your hair! Save your money.

Caleb in Joshua 14: 10-11 said this, "Now then, just as the Lord promised, He has kept me alive...So here I am today, eighty five years old. I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then." I cannot make the same claim like Caleb, but I thank God I can still walk and do housework, plus preparing messages and Bible studies. To God be the glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment