Monday, July 23, 2012

A pleasant surprise

Just received word from our Public Relations Department that a certain Ng Kim Loh of Malacca has been trying to contact me. Looks like he has just started doing e-mail.

Needless to say, I responded straightaway and now await the communication. I first met Ng Kim Loh when a fellow cadet and I went for our cadets' campaign early 1954. Then in October 1954 at the age 22, I was appointed the pastor of the church in Malacca and Kim Loh and family attended the meetings regularly.

The parents owned a sundry goods shop in the kampong (since then demolished) and Kim Loh helped in the shop. He was not in school. I persuaded the mother to send him to school although he was about ten plus then. The principal of the Methodist School accepted him into Primary 3 on condition that I coach him. So every day I gave him lessons. He did well in school.

To cut the long story short, he later attended the Teachers' Day Training Centre and became a teacher! What a story of achievement. Now he is retired and gives private tuition.

Since our return to Singapore we did make contact, but looks like he has lost our address, but wise enough to contact The Salvation Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment