Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Visiting Peacehaven

We were at Peacehaven Nursing Home as usual on a Tuesday. We did chapel service at the Residents Living Area at Sparrow. Today we had good time with them. Some days we do not seem to get good response and it can be quite discouraging. The people seem to be half asleep or even asleep. Some are affected by the medication they take. Others have dementia. But we know we must persevere. We sow the seed and leave the results with God.

Isn't it natural to want to work where we feel comfortable? Jesus did not choose to be comfortable. He went where the need was the greatest. My mind goes to a song written by Miriam Richards.

"What can I say to cheer a world of sorrow?
How bring back hope where men have sorely failed?
Just where I am I'll speak the word of comfort,
Tell how for me Christ's sacrifice availed.

Chorus
Just where he needs me, my Lord has placed me,
Just where he needs me, there would I be!
And since he found me, by love he's bound me
To serve him joyfully.

What can I do to ease life's heavy burdens?
What can I do to help mankind in need?
Just where I am I'll share my neighbour's hardship,
Lighten his load, and prove a friend indeed.

What can I do to justify my living?
What can I be to make this life worthwhile?
I'll be a voice to call men to the Saviour,
Just where I am, and win my Father's smile.

The song was written by Miriam Richards at a time when she was required to work in a difficult situation. She wrote:

I was returning by train to an appointment not altogether congenial. Family and friends were left behind and adjustment had to be made to what lay before. I had spoken of my unhappiness to a friend who had seen me off at the station and some words she had said lingered in my mind. I began to rough out the lines, Just where He needs me' and I seemed to be given the answer to my questioning and the larger outlook to the verses followed. This song which marked the rededication of my life has been blessed around the world -more than any I have written."

My prayer is for strength to keep going even when things are hard or even when I see little or no response. I cannot opt out of the zone of discomfort to the comfort zone. Not my will but the Lord's be done.







No comments:

Post a Comment