Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Mid all the traffic of the ways

William A Dunkerly using the pen name John Oxenham wrote this beautiful poem that has blessed countless people throughout the the years.He wrote this from a small chapel, where as he described it as 'an abode of peace.' In the hustle and bustle of life, we need to make our retreat to the 'abode of peace.'

I cherish my quiet moments with God. I need this everyday. I cannot go without it. "Solitude" means experiencing  oneness with God whom I love and serve  I often use this beautiful poem in my meditation. Early this Sunday morning, I spent my quiet time with God and really felt His overwhelming presence in and around me. A great time to begin the day spent 'in the secret of  His presence, in the hiding of His power.'

’Mid all the traffic of the ways,
Turmoils without, within,
Make in my heart a quiet place,
And come and dwell therein.

A little shrine of quietness,
All sacred to Thyself,
Where Thou shalt all my soul possess,
And I may find myself.

A little shelter from life’s stress,
Where I may lay me prone,
And bare my soul in loneliness,
And know as I am known.

A little place of mystic grace,
Of self and sin swept bare,
Where I may look upon Thy face,
And talk with Thee in prayer.

Come occupy my silent place,
And make thy dwelling there!
More grace is  wrought in quietness
Than any is aware.








No comments:

Post a Comment