Sunday, February 26, 2012

Preached at Eratchippu

At 8.45 a.m. I was down in the basement hall. When I arrived there was only one person, the Corps Sergeant Major Hemma kneeling at the Mercy Seat praying. I sat quietly on the front row and silently joined her in prayer. Gradually others arrived and so there were six of us praying.

The worship meeting began at about 9.15 a.m. The CSM led, all in Tamil. I only knew one song "What a friend we have in Jesus" sung in Tamil. Of course I sang in English.

I gave the message and it was translated by the CSM. The meeting ended at 10.30 a.m.

After the meeting I was introduced to a young man by the name of Abraham. He told me his great grandparents were Major and Mrs. Abraham who came from India to Singapore to pioneer Tamil work about 1938. Mrs. Abraham died and was buried at Bidadri cemetery at Upper Serangoon Road. I recall visiting her grave. What an interesting story.

The Tamil Corps at Race Course Rd closed down during the war. The few Tamil comrades joined the Central Corps. And it was in 1952, as a Candidate Helper that I went with Lieutenant Douglas Kiff to recommence the Tamil Outpost at Kolam Ayer in the home of Brother Sevanatham and family. Later it moved to the home of Mrs. Samuel until about 1975 when the Army moved to Kallang Baru. The Army changed the name to Kallang Baru Corps.

The Army had two meetings - in the morning we had English meeting, and in the evening Tamil meeting. Non Indian joined the Corps. Later the Corps closed down and the folk joined the Changi corps.

The Tamil comrades regrouped and form the Eratchippu Corps at Cuff road, in Little India. It moved a few more times, and finally ended up at Praisehaven. We live on the fourth floor, the William Booth Corps is on the ground floor and Eratchippu occupies the basement.

Major Pasoe is away in Kuala Lumpur for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment