Wednesday, February 15, 2012

70 years ago today

Three and a half months short of my 10th birthday! Singapore fell to the dreaded Japanese forces which had been bombing Singapore. We had been running to and from the bomb shelter our hiding place. It was a relief, the end of bombings but what about the future? For comfort I held on to my one eyed black toy dog, given one Christmas by the Salvation Army Balestier Corps!

Japanese soldiers soon came round to our housing estate. They knocked on the doors looking for young women. Every time we received a knock on the door, my sister would climb up the ladder and hide on the flat roof under the eaves. Many women were raped, often in front of their parents or husbands! Young men were forcibly taken away, some never to return.

One day news came round and the Japanese would take over the estate to house their soldiers. My mother, my older sister, my younger brother and I fled. My older brother a young man of 16 ran to hide under bridges or anywhere he could find safety. My father was out looking for job and he tried to evade the Japanese soldiers.

We walked to Jalan Besar and a shop owner gave us some space in their shop. There were other refugees and the place was overcrowded. However people were kind enough to give us tapioca and sweet potatoes to eat. We scouted around and then moved to a more "comfortable" place, under the staircase of a shop house. We were there a few days, but without food supplies, we just could not survive. So we took the risk to return home. When we got home, no soldier was around and we were safe. We had been so gullible to listen to false rumour. Still we learned some hard and painful lessons.

A few days later my older brother returned home. He had been captured by the Japanese but fortunately was released. Others including some of his friends were taken away and were killed at Changi or Ponggol. This was infamous Sook Ching Massacre. My uncle never returned probably shot by the soldiers. Among the salvationists was an ex-officer, Koh Liang Seah. He had resigned from Salvation Army officership to work for the local press. He had written many articles against the Japanese. When the Japs invaded Singapore, he was one of the first to be beheaded.

The Sook Ching Massacre, which began on February 18, 1942 and ended on March 3rd, claimed according to the Japanese 5000 lives. That's the “official” number. Other sources have put the count at more than 100,000 killed. The true number will never be known.In Chinese language, “sook ching” roughly means “a purge through cleansing”.

When war ended, several Japanese officers were tried for leading the massacre. Two were executed while the others received life sentences. Japan eventually made reparations payments to Singapore but, to our knowledge never officially apologized for the actions of its military.

Yes, that fateful day, the beginning of three and half gloomy years. Salvation Army was proscribed so I went with my family to the Roman Catholic church - Church of St. Peter and Paul at Queen Street. Every Sunday I kissed the feet of St. Peter and St Paul and asked for their blessing! It was the first time I heard of the word Purgatory. We went through three and half years of purgatory!

Looking back I thank God for His provision. We learned some valuable lessons in life. My family have all gone to be with the Lord and I am the sole survivor of those dark days.

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment