Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Trees

I am privileged to live in an area where there are lots of trees. I always enjoy watching the trees from my balcony. It's beautiful and I thank God for His wonderful creation. Nature has many lessons to teach us if we are prepared to observe and learn from them.

Psalm 1 speaks of the man blessed by God. He is like a tree planted by a stream or river of water. Echoing the language of the psalmist Jeremiah said, "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord; whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream."

In the New Testament, we find the same parallel between a tree and a righteous person. John the Baptist warned the Pharisees and Sadducees that "any tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire." Matt. 3:10. Then again in Matthew 7: 17, "every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit" and further on in 19, "by their fruit you will recognise them."

There are good trees and bad trees. A healty, fruitful tree symbolises the person who has faith in God and whose relationship with Him is right. He draws his nourishment from Christ. He is planted by the living waters.

I pray daily that the Lord will enable me to abide in Him and draw spiritual sustenance from Christ. Thank You Lord for these beautiful trees I see everyday from my balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment