Monday, October 19, 2009

Looking at trees

On 14th October I wrote about trees. Thank God for the beautiful trees I see from my balcony.

We are getting more rain these days. Prior to this rainy season, when we had little or no rain, the workers from the PWD had to come and water the newly planted saplings in the Car Park. Trees need water to survive.

In both Psalm 1 and Jeremiah 17 we read about trees planted by the rivers of water. Of course, we know that a tree will grow even if it is not by the river, but the point the Psalmist and Jeremiah want to make is that if a tree is planted by the river, it will be nourished in fertile and productive soil. It refers to the custom of planting trees along the river bank or proximity to a stream. The tree receives a constant supply of nourishment.

In the same way it is with the Christian who finds his nourishment in God, the eternal supply of water keeps him fresh, alive, growing, fruitful. His spiritual needs are supplied.

We need to watch that our spiritual life does not wilt and wither. It happens when we are not drawing from the eternal springs of God. John 4:14 "Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst - not ever. The water I give will be an artisan spring within, gushing fountains of endless life." (The Message) In other versions we read of "springs of living water."

Let me end this blog with a quote from the poet Joyce Kilmer.

"I think I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."


Man is capable of making many things, they can even make plastic or paper trees, but no one has been able to make a real tree - one that can grow and even bear fruit. Yes, God uses trees to speak to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment