Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Saying Thank you.

My wife has a special ministry. She sends out birthday and wedding anniversary greetings, plus other messages to our many friends. As we share the same e-mail account, many think that I’ve been doing this, so quite often people thank me.

(By the way when my wife writes she signs “aa & pc Lim” and when I write it is the other way round “pc & aa Lim”)

Some write to thank us for remembering them on these special days. There are those who are very profuse in the thanks. Others just don’t seem to bother or maybe they are too busy to acknowledge. I suppose they are overwhelmed by so many e-mails they just delete them.

I am reminded of the incident of the ten lepers in Luke 17 – one in ten returned to give thanks. Jesus asked a poignant question, “Where are the nine?” I suppose they were all so absorbed by the gift of healing they forgot the Giver.

Come to think of it, there have been times when I’ve forgotten to say “thank you.” Forgive me Lord for my busyness or thoughtlessness in not thanking You or thanking friends who show care and concern.

Matthew Henry accosted by thieves who robbed him of his purse, wrote this afterwards.

Let me be thankful
Because I was never robbed before.
Because although they took my purse,
they did not take my life.
Because it I who was robbed and
not I who robbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment