Saturday, October 24, 2009

Roots and trees

The trees in the park look beautiful. Thank God for creating trees. From my balcony I see the trees, but I cannot see the roots. They are hidden from our eyes by the soil. Although unseen, roots are extremely important. Cut a tree or a plant from its roots and it will die. It cannot survive with roots. As the tree grows the roots lengthen and strike deeper in search of water and nourishment. The tree depends on the roots for stability, support and life itself. Cut off the roots, the tree withers and dies.

Come to think of it, the most important part of our lives is hidden. It is not how you and I look, how well dressed or how educated. how articulate or how presentable -important as these are to us and others. The most important for each one of us is -where our roots are. For the Christian, the roots are hidden in Christ.

I like to think of roots as representing our faith - faith in the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Deep below the surface of any believer there must be these foundational roots. Don't let anyone or anything undermine of faith in the Lord.

During the week I received an e-mail from someone who remarked that he and his family are now on 'spiritual auto roam.' One thing I know the trees I see from my balcony don't go on 'auto roam.' They remain rooted in the soil where they are planted. Their roots sink deep into the soil where they draw nourishment.

My roots are in God and also in The Salvation Army. My association with The Army dates back more than 70 years - yes before the war. The roots go deep and I have no regrets.

By tomorrow 25th October, my wife and I would have completed 55 years as officers of The Salvation Army. We are deeply rooted in the Army and God. We've been through all kinds of experiences - good and bad, but the Lord has been with us in every situation in life. There is a saying "A tree often shaken is deeply rooted." John Newton has expressed it well for us.

"Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment