Saturday, October 17, 2009

Things

When I left the Training College to go to my first appointment in Malacca in October 1954, I had all my worldly possessions in one suitcase, one bag plus a carton of books. All these three pieces fit into one tricycle! I was happy.

I have accumulated a lot of things much of which I don't need any more. I am slowly getting rid of them. A lot of my books have gone to the Training College Library downstairs for the benefit of others. I must be careful not to be attached to things. The RSI is a good place to pass on my things and let others enjoy them.

From my collection of quotations I pass on this poem written by Albert E Mingay.

Things,
The tyranny of things.
We really must have many things
To eat, to use, enjoy and hold.
'Possession' is a magic word,
For acres, houses, silks or gold,
If status symbols are reward
Which pleasure brings,
We must have things.

Things.
The tyranny of things.
To multiply, accumulate,
Acquire, control, secure or find;
Make gadgets, trinkets, souvenirs,
A bargain basement of the mind.
Are these the treasures of the years
Which getting brings?
Just things and things?

Things.
We left that love behind
When we responded to a call.
It was to us no sacrifice,
But if we turn to other things,
We do but change the merchandise.
The pride of place and status brings
A lure that clings.
And these are things.

Things.
We do not worship things,
But prize the glad capacity
To see, to hear, to know and feel.
The rose-tint in the morning sun;
All honest toil; a love that's real;
The trusting child's unsullied fun,
And faith sings;
Are more than things.

No comments:

Post a Comment