Friday, February 21, 2014

The Name of Jesus

What's in a name? Shakespeare's question has been echoing from platforms of theatres for many years. The question has been asked many times and has become common currency among the users of the English language. As the poet has put it "What's in name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

That's true! But do we want to call a rose a hibiscus; refer to a Mercedes as a Susuki or the our City a kampong or village? A name is important. Would-be parents spend hours in search of a name that will express their hopes, desires and aspirations. Many Christian names have worthwhile interpretations and the giving of a name is linked a prayer that the child will live up to that name. Names are important for they are more than labels.

I see posters in our church referring to 'the name of Jesus.' Remember, the angel of the Lord was very specific in his message of Joseph, "You shall call His name Jesus for He shall save His people from their sins."

What a lovely name!

"Of all in earth or Heaven,
   The dearest name to me
Is the matchless name of Jesus,
   The Christ of Calvary.

The Christ of Calvary,
The dearest name to me
Is the matchless name of Jesus,
The Christ of Calvary.

I cannot help but love Him,
 And tell His love to me;
For He became my ransom,
  The Christ of Calvary,

I could not live without Him,
  His love is life to me;
My blood-bought life I give Him,
 The Christ of Calvary.   Nathan Atkinson Aldersley.

No comments:

Post a Comment