Sunday, February 23, 2014

Delighting in the Lord.

Someone asked us to pray for his son who has gone to America to take up music. He wants us to pray that he will pass his music examination.  This is a request that I find it hard to respond.

First of all I don't know whether the son is a Christian or an atheist. My prayer for him will be for his salvation if he is not a believer. He has to get into right relationship with God first. Otherwise the only prayer he can pray is "Have mercy on me O Lord." He needs to be saved first. He does not attend our church, so we don't even know him.

The Bible tells us "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37: 4


Is it right that every time we come to God in prayer it is just to ask for things, or ask Him to give us certain blessings such as passing an examination or getting a job and so on. We must first know Him, love Him, delight in Him and commit everything we have and do to Him. We take pleasure in the presence of the person we  delight in. This means we know the person well and want to know him even better.


When we delight in a person, we love to be in that person's company. We sing the hymn written by Fanny Crosby  "O the pure delight of a single hour when before thy throne I spend. When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God I commune as friend with friend."


Let us daily seek to grow in spiritual maturity and for a close intimate relationship with the Lord. You will find blessings abound.











No comments:

Post a Comment