Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Delegation or off loading

To be a leader you need to learn the art of delegation. Moses was wearing himself out dealing with the people and their problems until his father in law gave him a lesson on delegation. Exodus 18: 1-27. Moses took the advice.

I'm afraid some people confuse delegation with off loading. I have worked with those who when given responsibility passes that on to someone else and forget about it.

First the leader needs to know his people; to appreciate the different gifts people possess.  Don't put square pegs in round holes.  Dixon E Hoste said this about delegation. "the capacity to appreciate the gifts of widely varying kinds of workers, and then to help them along the lines of their own personalities and workings, is the main quality of oversight in a nation such as ours."

I think it was General Eva Burrows who once said about delegation, "I take my hands off you, but keep my eyes on you." I may delegate, but I still have the responsibility as the leader to see that the job is done and I need to do all I can to empower and support you.

Our Lord has given us responsibilities to fulfil on this earth. He has given us His Spirit to come alongside us to help us. We are not alone in carrying out our responsibilities. He is with us all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment