Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Celebrations with family and friends.

I recall when I was a child, once a year when it was my birthday according to the Lunar Calendar 25 day of the 4th moon, my mother would cook me a bowl of sweet noodles and two boiled eyes for me for breakfast. That was all the celebration according to the Teochew custom.  Birthday celebrations were organised for the elderly, not children!

The westerners and the modern generation in Singapore celebrate children's birthdays.

Our daughter and family celebrated my birthday at Jurong Point. We had a lovely meal with them. Sorry our eldest grandson could not be there as he was not feeling well after two weeks of doing audits at Kuala Lumpur. He fell ill and had to rush home. He works as an auditor with Ernst and Young.

Last Saturday, we had celebration with our son and family at a Japanese Restaurant at Riverview Hotel. This time the celebration was a combined one - our grand daughter Rachel's birthday and mine. We had a great time. We don't normally go to a Japanese restaurant so it was a nice change.

Earlier on I did mention that Peacehaven Nursing Home celebrated my birthday.

God has been good in giving us three children and six grandchildren.  Everyday we thank God for them and pray for them. And in Peacehaven a number of nurses address us as 'Grandpa and Grandma.'  The majority of them are from foreign countries - China, Philippines, Myanmar etc. have adopted us as their grandparents! How nice and we are always touched by their love.

We thank God for family and the extended family.

"Thank You Lord for all Your goodness;
Through years of yesteryear;
Thank You Lord for present mercies
And Your blessing on my way." August Ludwig Storm trs.by Flora Larsson.

No comments:

Post a Comment