Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Spirit of the Living God fall afresh on me

Coming Sunday, 19th May we shall be worshipping with our brothers and sisters at Balestier Corps, the church where I grew up. We shall be celebrating Pentecost, the outpouring the Holy Spirit as recorded in Acts of the Apostles.

Bishop Stephen Neill has a book on the church's mission entitled "The Unfinished Task." On the cover of the book is a picture of a church building surrounded by scaffolding suggesting that it is still in the process of being built. God's Spirit is at work and He is only beginning to create, out of the shattered fragments of the Christian community throughout the world, a church that will more truly reflect and proclaim the gospel in the world.

The question we need to ask ourselves very seriously is whether we are prepared to submit ourselves to the Spirit of God in order that we may be used in the building of His church. To be used by Him means the willingness to be changed, to be reshaped and to be renewed.

Daniel Iverson's well known and well loved prayer comes to my mind and I sing it often in church as well as in my own private devotion.

Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me,
Break me, melt me, mould me, full me,
Spirit of the Living God fall afresh on me.

This is my prayer right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment