Thursday, May 30, 2013

Quiet birthday reflection.

When I retired from active service at the age of 65 in mid 1997, I thought I might have five years to enjoy my retirement. By then I would have reached my 'three score years and ten.' But 16 years after retirement I am still alive and kicking, thanks to the mercy and grace of God. My wife although younger retired at the same time with me.

My parents passed away in their mid seventies; so was my sister the eldest in the family. My elder brother went to be with the Lord when he was 55 the year we were posted to Hong Kong.  My younger brother passed away at the age of 72. Here am I the only one in the family still alive.

Birth and death are in the hands of God and when the time comes, we go to meet our Maker. The important thing is to be prepared for eternity. So here am I at the age of 81 still alive and happy in the Lord's service. There is still work to be done. The fields are white unto harvest and the labourers are few, so we continue to sow and to reap in God;s kingdom.

Soon I shall post chapter 80 of my autobiography entitled "This is my story" It will be the last chapter on Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I don't know if I would be able to complete the next segment - life in the Philippines, in London and in retirement. Only the Lord knows. Memory is not as good these days and the power of recall is weakening, but while I am still able, I must go on.

We were at the Prayer meeting at Bishan this morning. How good it is to meet fellow believers to pray. This means getting up earlier. Every Thursday we wake up at 4.15 a.m., this gives us time to go for our morning walk, personal devotions, breakfast and then depart from where we are at 6.45 a.m. for the Place of Prayer, the chapel at Territorial Hqrs at Bishan. It's always an enriching experience to meet with likeminded folk who believe in the power of prayer.

We came home and to our surprise, visitors started coming. Whilst I was reading my mail I heard a "male voice choir" comprising two officers - Lieutenant Anthony Yong and Captain Hary. It was a duet, sorry not male voice choir. The Lieutenant sang the melody, the Captain put in his part and they made a joyful noise unto the Lord. The harmony was somewhat unusual and as I am not a musician, I dare not make comment but showed my appreciation. They also brought a chocolate cake, my favourite. A phone call to the office and three others, Major Pascoe, Tan Bee Yit and Raymond Aloba came and joined the party. Then sister Joy Goh came with gifts and joined in the celebration. It was a happy morning. We thank God for friends who really care for each other.

Come to think of it, my mother told me I was a premature baby at birth - and a sickly baby compared with my siblings. And I have outlived them all. God has a good sense of humour.

I still conduct meetings, still preach the word when invited to do so. I still write out a Bible lesson every week for our Adult Bible Class and conduct a cell group every Friday. We still visit Peacehaven |Nursing |Home to do chapel service and pastoral visitation. It's all by the grace of God.

Now I move on. Will I reach my 82? Well only God knows. And thank God for my wife. Come 7th June we will celebrate our 55th Wedding Anniversary. Fifty five years of happy married life, it has been great and enriching all the way because of God's blessing.

So here am I enjoying my birthday just reflecting, thanking and praising God for His goodness. God is great, God is good, God is gracious. To Him be the glory! Allow me to conclude with my favourite song by Stanley Ditmer, the chorus says

I’m in His hands, I’m in His hands
Whatever the future holds, I’m in His hands
The days I cannot see have all been planned for me.
His way is best you see. I’m in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment