Friday, May 17, 2013

Bukit Brown cemetry

Last evening I watched the interesting documentary on channel 5 on the Bukit Brown cemetery. According to the Singapore Heritage it is the largest Chinese cemetery outside China. The Government will be building a road through the cemetery. This will be completed by the year 2016.

I must confess I've never visited this cemetery. I cannot recall any of my ancestors being buried there.
My father who came from China was buried in 1965 at the Bidadari Christian Cemetery. I recall collecting his remains and his ashes are now in the crematorium. I don't know anything about my mother's ancestors as she was born in Singapore and passed away in 1980 buried at the Choa Chu Kang Cemetery.

Thinking about cemeteries, when we were in England, I loved to see the old country church yards! O I wish I could go to an old English church, sit in the church yard and read, Gray's "Elegy in a Country churchyard."

The poem begins with "The curfew tolls the knell of parting day,
                                         The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea,
                                      The ploughman homeward plods his weary way,
                                       And leaves the world to darkness and to me."

As he sits, reflects he says,
                                  Full many a gem of purest ray serene
                                    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear;
                                  Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
                                   And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

O I love my solitude to be away far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife. So here am I sitting alone in my little room reflecting.

And I hear God telling me, "Be still and know that I am God."

No comments:

Post a Comment