Sunday, April 14, 2013

Preaching the word of God

Our Corps Officer (Pastor) is away in Malacca and we did the service for her this morning. It is always a joy to be able to preach the word of God and we thank God we still have the strength to conduct church services. For me and my wife, it is a calling, yes for life!

Alexander Whyte of Edinburgh one day encouraged a Methodist minister who was getting somewhat discouraged with these words, "Never think of giving up preaching! The angels around the throne envy you your great work."

The late General John Gowans wrote this little poem called "Oracle" -

"They thanked me
For the words I spoke -
As if I could
By any word of mine
Do any good!
As if the thought that healed
Came from my mind!
I know they only wanted to be kind -
But they should know
The message isn't mine.
The word that heals
Just has to be
Divine.
And any truth
They recognize as true
Though I may speak it
Comes of course
From You!"

The preacher is only the mouth piece, the message is from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment