Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Carolling at Peacehaven - just the two of us.

Instead of the usual chapel service in one area, my wife and I decided to sing carols to the first and third level residents. I've not used my piano accordion for a long time, but today I took it to Peacehaven and what a great time we had.

As we approached each Residents' Living Area, I played quietly "Silent Night" the best known carol. Then the music crescendoed and once the residents and staff saw us, those who were familiar with the carols joined in the singing. I then played and my wife and I sang other well known carols like "O come all ye faithful." She would give a brief Christmas message in Chinese and I translated into English. Finally we ended with "We wish you a merry Christmas" and prayed for the residents. This is repeated nine times this morning. We began at 9.15 a.m and ended by 12 noon! We then joined the staff for lunch.

We went round and shook hands with every resident, nurse, care giver wishing them a Happy and Blessed Christmas. Tired yes, but well worth the effort when we saw the beaming faces of the people.

The verse we used for our message was "Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, goodwill toward men."

We will continue in ministry as long as God wants us and grant us the health and strength we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment