Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Past has things to teach us.

We were at Peacehaven today and as always, spent much time chatting with the residents and staff. The residents, majority elderly love to recall the past. We are glad we can lend a listening ear to these people, some of them quite lonely.

There is an old saying which goes "Dwell in the past and you will lose an eye. Forget the past and you'll lose both eyes." If we keep thinking and dwelling in the past and keep longing for the good old days, we will be blinded. We need to live in the present and prepare for the future. And if we forget, ignore or despise the past we will be completely blind. To evaluate and to interpret the present, don't you think we need the past? We can learn a lot from the past, but don't dwell just on history.

I read the Bible everyday for my own spiritual survival, benefit and growth. I also read the study then teach to others. I am still preaching and teaching. Reaching eighty does not mean that I have to give up my life's calling to preach the word and share the Scriptures with others.

There is a purpose in sacred history - yes, it was written to teach us. The Bible is a record of God's actions. God has been at work long before the earth was created. Sacred history was written 'so that through endurance... we might have hope."  Whether referring to Abraham, Noah, David, Peter, Paul and a host of others they were written for our encouragement and to enable us to keep our faith strong.

At our Adult Bible class I alternate between the Old and New Testaments. At the moment I am doing Judges and what lessons I learned from from this book. Yes, the past has a lot to teach us especially the word of God, the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment