Saturday, June 30, 2012

God the Giver of gifts

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1: 17

God is the Great Giver. He gives and gives and gives! Good or bad we are all recipients of His gifts. All of us should be grateful to Him for His gifts. We need to note too we are to be responsible for the gifts He has given us.

As I write another verse from God's word comes to my mind. "In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves." Psalm 127: 2. This psalm speaks about dealing with our anxieties in view of God's continuing care. When we truly trust God we are then able to rest comfortably in Him. We cast our cares upon Him, for He cares for us. So don't reject this gift. At the end of the day, let us thank God for this gift of sleep. "Lord you have given me this body capable of sleeping and capable of waking up in the morning. Thank you for giving me this body capable of working or toiling. Lord I give this body back to you. Now Lord let sleep come. My burdens I lay at your feet and I know you can take care of them.

We thank God for material things. I've been cleaning my little room I use as an office cum study. O what a lot of things I have accumulated. I need to clear my library. I've already given away many books and I need to give more away. I sort them out, put them aside but the parting is always hard. I might want to read them again! I confess I'm a hoarder! I say to myself, "O I might need this some time in the future."

I'm just thinking. God the great Giver has given us lots of things to use and to enjoy, but not to enjoy forever. Do we enjoy them when they are hidden in the cupboard, or stacked somewhere in the store or like books sitting nicely in the book case gathering dust? I need to share them with others who perhaps need them more than I do. I came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing, but my soul to meet my Maker.

Lord give me the wisdom to hold on to the things of this world lightly. Let me concentrate on things of eternal value.

No comments:

Post a Comment