Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Encouraged and inspired

We were at Peacehaven yesterday, Tuesday and did chapel service at Skylark Lounge. Here the ladies are more alert and responsive. One lady in her 90's, quite deaf turned to my wife and said, "Why don't you give us a proper sermon?" We have to give the message in three languages, besides many of the residents just do not have the spiritual background, so we keep the message simple. Well we can't please everyone can we? We told her she can have a proper sermon if she goes to church on Sunday, but then she's deaf!

Half way through the meeting this lady shouted out  "Only one person is singing." Strange for a deaf woman to say that. She was in the front row and I wonder how she knew the people behind her were not singing. Or was she just trying to make conversation. Maybe that's the reason.

We visited all the residents on Level 3, then moved to Level 1. Auntie Veronica is very welcoming and I always feel encouraged to meet this elderly lady in her 90's, wheelchair bound. Every time she sees us, she asks us to stay for lunch. She told me one day she would like to cook me "mee siam" and "nasi lemak." I thanked her profusely for I know she meant well. Never mind let her feel she can do something for me. Young men see visions, but old people dream dreams!

We thank God for the privilege to be at Peacehaven every week to give that word of encouragement to the residents, the  nurses and staff.

All kinds of conversation - positive and negative, and we are there every week to lend a listening ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment