Monday, October 31, 2011

Writing the blog

In May 2009, one of our grandchildren, David and his girl friend Yurong visited us. In our conversation, the subject of blogging came up. I must have mentioned that I read and enjoyed their blogs. Doing so keeps me in touch with the young people and be up to date with events and modern thinking. Elderly folk must learn to interact with the younger generation to be relevant. Interaction with the elderly may be comforting as we recall with nostalgia the good old days. But we have to live in the present and prepare for the future.

The question was posed to me, "Why don't you blog?"
"This thought never entered my mind, besides I am busy enough already" was my response.

To cut the long story short, I was persuaded to blog. She went to the computer and within a couple of minutes, had everything set up for me. She asked me to give a name for the blog. Immediately I thought of Jeremiah who said,".. his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones." Jer. 20:9 Hence the name of this blog.

So I've been writing, not just my thoughts but my autobiography as well. "This is my story" was originally written for our family. I want our grandchildren and subsequent generations to catch something of the past. Later friends came to know about this and requested to be included in the mailing list. So the best way is to put it on the blog and those who want to read can do so from the blog. A copy is sent to Jessie Kwong The Salvation Army's archivist. She files them, and adds pictures to them as well.

Amos 7:14 we read these words
Amos answered Amaziah, "I was neither a prophet nor a prophet's son, but I was a shepherd, and I also took care of sycamore-fig trees.
New Living Translation (©2007)
But Amos replied, "I'm not a professional prophet, and I was never trained to be one. I'm just a shepherd, and I take care of sycamore-fig trees.

Let me plagiarise and change the words a little to apply to myself, "I was neither a writer nor a writer's son, but I was a pastor, and I took care of the sheep under my care"
"I am not a professional writer, and was never trained to be one.I am just a pastor and I take care of the people the Lord gives me."

Lieut. Colonel Catherine Baird, Salvation Army poet wrote this beautiful poem entitled "Lines to a Writer".

When strong men lie divested of their power,
When youth is robbed of beauty's early flower,
When silver tones like echoes slowly die,
And useless riches all corroded lie -
Thy work shall teach the beauty of his will,
When thy own heart is cold and thy lips lie still;
For unto thee, most honoured among men,
As to another one, he gave - a pen;
His hidden secrets haloed in new Light,
To thee he whispers, then he bids thee: "Write."

So I continue to write, my thoughts, my vision, my life's story. All is done to the glory of the God I love and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment