Wednesday, October 12, 2011

This is my story - 63 (Hong Kong/Taiwan)

63 – God’s Provision of Day Care for Poh Chin.

When we sincerely do God’s will we can always be assured of His resources available to us at all times. The Lord always provides for the needs of His servants, not necessarily in the way we anticipated but in His best interests and for our good. All through the years we have experienced His involvement in every aspect of our lives.

I mentioned in earlier chapters our concern for Dora Poh Chin our special handicapped fourteen year old daughter needing full time care and attention. We employed a lady to look after her during the day when my wife had to be in office, thanks to the generosity the Advisory Board members. But we could not expect this arrangement to continue indefinitely.

One day we got word that there was a vacancy in a certain Day Care Centre for the mentally handicapped. We made our way there with Poh Chin and much to our delight she was accepted. The centre opened at 8.00 a.m and closed at 4.00 p.m. Every morning on our way to office we dropped her at the Centre and at 4.00 p.m. the Rehab Bus picked her up and took her to our Salvation Army Home at Lai King. The staff looked after her till we collected her on our way home.

Captain Keith Cheng our Social Services Secretary who was also the superintendent of Lai King Home made arrangements to care for Poh Chin on Sundays when we had to conduct meetings at the various centres. When we visited Taiwan Division, Poh Chin stayed at the Home and the Rehab Bus transported her to and from the Centre. Captain and Mrs. Keith Cheng were very caring officers.

One day when we got to Lai King Home to fetch Poh Chin, I discovered the car had a flat tyre. Well, I tried to change the tyre, but could not unscrew the bolts. They were very tight. I tried and tried and was quite exhausted when a passer-by, the exposed part of his body covered in tattoos walked towards me. He was a burly fellow and appeared quite aggressive. I became quite apprehensive and defensive, wondering what he would do next. He grabbed the tool from me and I was trembling all over, thinking he was going to rob me.

Instead, he changed the tyre for me! I believe the Lord sent him there at the right moment for me. When I thanked him and wanted to pay him, he brushed me aside, waved and walked away. I felt rather ashamed of myself for misjudging him. God’s angels come in different shapes and forms, not necessarily with wings and wearing halos.

We have been blessed by the deeds of kind and caring people. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment