Friday, October 21, 2011

Down memory lane

The new Balestier Corps will be officially opened and dedicated on 11th November 2011
The Corps Officer (pastor) Captain Hary Haran wants a video made depicting the history of the Corps.

Yesterday, after the Prayer meeting, Terence Nah came to THQ and fetched me to Anne Kwong's place. The three of us went first to Kim Keat Road and Lorong Limau. There I pointed to them the spot where The Salvation Army had the first Home for boys under the care of Adjutant and Mrs. Harold Matthews. These officers not only cared for the boys they also went out into the neighbourhood to preach the gospel. The Matthews were later sent to Malacca to pioneer Army work there.

I lived nearby at Lorong Limau and as a child of five I used to watch the open air meeting conducted by the Army near my home. I can still remember the spot and pointed it out to Terence and Anne who took pictures and videod the scene. Of course the area has changed. Those small units built by the Government were demolished long ago and now there are tall buildings. The Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT) became the HDB (Housing and Development Board) I remember the tiny unit we lived in used to cost us $7.00 per month! The rent collector would call each month to collect rent! The Army outpost was held in one of these units belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Syd Henson who later moved to Siglap and started the Siglap Corps.

Terence, Anne and I went from there to Balestier Road and I pointed out to them the shop house where the Army held meetings. It was called Balestier Road Corps. My older siblings and I attended Sunday School there. My mother attended the Home League and was also employed at the hall keeper. That shop now sells lamps.

I showed them the spot at the corner of Martaban/Balestier road where the Army used to hold open air meetings. Then we went to the spot where on the land provided by Mrs. Palmer the Army built an atap house to hold meetings. Later the Army bought over the land for a token sum of $3000.00 and put up the first purpose built building in 1961. When the land was sold the Corps moved to Bishan as its temporary home and in November will move to our own building.

We filmed the new building a former Eye Hospital, next door to the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I recalled many years ago, when the Community Church closed down they offered to sell the building to the Army. But the Army had no money to buy it so the Seventh Day Adventist Church bought it. By strange providence of God, or Divine arrangement we are now side by side sharing the same fence with the Seventh Day Adventists.

The final part of the video had me standing outside our new building saying, "We are now back to Balestier, not to bask in our own glory, but to do battle for the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment